It is 20-10 (that is how I am choosing to call the New Year, but please don’t be offended if you want to call it two thousand and ten). I am sure you have all made some New Years Resolutions. As a small business owner, or even an entrepreneur you may be wondering how to take your resolution of “Launching your business in to the New Decade” and putting it in to practical application. I am here to help you do just that by using various forms of social media! Let’s break this down to be a little more manageable:
Step 1: Create a Strategic Plan.
For 20-10 your resolution is to launch your business in to the new decade, but how do you do that? Launching your company in to the new decade takes some strategy to effectively use all of these resources.
- You need to carefully evaluate your ideal customer and how they are gathering information about your company. Many customers are Web 2.0 savvy. Customers are connecting with new products and businesses through the internet. Customers are finding products through online advertisements, blog references, company Twitter accounts, or their friends becoming “fans” of the Facebook page.
- After you evaluate your customers, research the various Web 2.0 forums for communication to your customers. I suggest starting with blogs, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook. Oh and if you haven’t created a website for yourself- Start there first.
- Next lay out the tools you will use. Will you start a blog? Will you create a Twitter account to market to your customers in 140 characters or less? Will you create a Facebook Page to update Fans on new products or services? Decide which tools fit your needs the best.
- Create a time line of expectations and define tools for measurement. Analyze the tools you identified in the last step to develop an action plan of updates. It is unrealistic to say “I am going to use every social media tool that is available on the web”. You need to realistically define which tools you can update consistently in order to gain and maintain customers using the web. Do not get discouraged though, because there are plenty of resources that allow you to manage all of your social media sites through an online application. These resources help you generate content that is linked to your sites in order to create a blanket message across all of the various tools. I will go in to these resources in a different post. Another fun fact is that a lot of these sites have built in measurement tools to analyze clicks on your page, customer interaction, and the amount of followers you have. These are all beneficial to evaluating how many customers you are contacting on a daily basis.
- Develop a plan to get all “employees” on board for the New Years Resolution of launching your business in to the new decade. Allowing employees to become involved in creating content for your social media sites is beneficial to the company. Employees can join in the conversation with customers to ensure quick feedback and regular updates.
This is a small step to completing your resolution of “Launching your career in to the new decade”. Develop your strategy and start exploring your new social media tools. Then come on back here to find out more tips on creating a social media policy, measurement devices, and generating quality content.